The combination “ough” can be pronounced in nine different
ways. The sentence above contains them all.
Mer jag aldrig lärde mig på engelsklektionen:
- The longest one-syllable word in the English language is
- “Dreamt” is the only English word that ends in the letters
- The symbol on the “pound” key (#) is called an octothorpe.
- The dot over the letter ‘i’ is called a tittle.
- The word “set” has more definitions than any other word in the
- “Underground” is the only word in the English language that
begins and ends with the letters “und.”
- There are only four words in the English language which end
in”-dous” tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
- The longest word in the English language, according to the
Oxford English Dictionary,
The only other word with the same amount of letters is
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses, its plural.
- There is a seven letter word in the English language that
contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters,
“therein” the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, therein, herein.
- The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a
letter is uncopyrightable.
- Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in the correct
order, as does arsenious, meaning “containing arsenic.”
- The word “Checkmate” in chess comes from the Persian phrase
“Shah Mat,” which means “the king is dead”.
Språk är kul. Det här var hämtat härifrån.